In 2005, three churches in Southwest Detroit recognized the need for outreach to the working poor and the growing homeless population and suggested that a team model might well be employed. Under the leadership and guidance of Fr. Ed Zaorski, Fr. Tom Sepulveda and Sr. Eileen Lantzy, Loaves and Fishes Southwest Detroit (LFSD) was founded as a collaborative means towards a team approach in the area of hunger and food insecurity of the multi-ethnic residents living in zip codes 48209, 48210, 48216 and 48217. Fr. Tom has since moved to Texas and Sr. Eileen Lantzy passed on January 1, 2016. Their untiring dedication and persistence and knowledge was invaluable during our formative years.
In 2007, Al Pedrosi enabled LFSD to incorporate as an independent non-profit 501(c) (3). We are grateful for his sharing of his expertise and care for the poor and needy in SW Detroit. Since his passing on June 6, 2010, his family organized the Al Pedrosi Memorial Golf Outing to support LFSD and continues to this day to assist LFSD in financial matters.
We financially augment the funding of food pantries, procure food and storage of large quantities of bulk food and procure equipment to the pantries. In addition we assist in their Thanksgiving and Christmas outreach programs.
Our strategic plan is to:
- Fundraise and disburse the funds to pantries until they become self-sustaining.
- Advise the pantries to ensure efficient operations, acceptable governance and progress towards self-sufficiency.
- Benchmark the pantry operations, governance and funding.
Short-term goals and activities focus on:
- food distribution
- developing a strong organizational structure that will support the pantries until they are self-sufficient
- faith – all men and women are children of God,
- flexibility – respect for individuals and being open to new possibilities and,
- foster – the development of the full potential of each person (self-sufficiency).
A community where the lives of people are improved and they are able to provide adequate and nutritious food for their families through their own resources.